It is an end of an era in Libya. The long serving leader of this Northern African country was killed today by “rebel” fighters in homeland of Sirte. Muammar Gaddafi who came to power through a revolution had been the leader of Libya for over 40 years.
During his long stay in power Gaddafi made some friends but also made many enemies. To protect himself he surrounded himself with family members.
We can draw a number of lessons from the death of Gadaffi.
One, if a leader stays in power for too long, there is a tendency for him/her to want to stay there for the rest of his/her life. These people also tend to think there is no one else is able to take over from them. They also resort to brutality to suppress those who are against them.
Two, for protection, they deploy family members to protect them.
Three, the leadership tend to end in death whether natural or induced.
Gaddafi has died but his family has also paid a huge price. Two of his sons and confidantes have been killed and so are his three grandchildren. The rest of the family ran away from the country into different directions.
The end of Gaddafi should serve as a lesson to other African leaders, not to stay in power for too long and also not to involve their families in leadership and politics.
- Tunatarajia kujenga hospitali ya Wilaya kwenye kata ya Somangila twitter.com/vedastodunstan… 11 hours ago
- Tenda ya ujenzi wa barabara ya Feri-Tungi-Kisiwani-Kibada yatangazwa fb.me/8jXe87ams 1 day ago
- In Tanzania, Contraception rate is 38%, TFR is 5.2, Pop growth rate 3%. Around 2 million new Tanzanians yearly. Mor… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Swahili adage says "do good deeds and go away, don't wait to be thanked." Tanzania's role in liberation of Southern Africa is all forgotten. 2 days ago
- Serikali kupiga marufuku matumizi ya viroba kuanzia 1/3/2017. Ni moja ya azimio la Bunge youtu.be/RHNs5OFtpiI via @YouTube 3 days ago
- Ni kweli wagonjwa wenye dalili wamelazwa. Vipimo vimechukuliwa kwa uthibitisho. Hatua nyingine za kukabili magonjwa… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- RT @tushirikishane: Mbunge wa #Kigamboni, @DocFaustine akifafanua kuhusu mipango ya muda mrefu na mfupi ya kuboresha hali ya umeme Jimboni… 4 days ago
- Mimba za Utotoni (15-19) zimeongezeka Tanzania toka 23% (2010)-27% (2016). Tunahitaji kutoa elimu na kuwajengea uwe… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Total annihalation of Arsenal tonight. It is surely 'over' and 'out' #ChampionsLeague #BAYvAFC 5 days ago
- It is going to be a very long night for Arsenal. Total humiliation #BAYvAFC 5 days ago